Here are some key harm reduction tips for a safe use of cannabis during the lockdown.
COVID-19, the disease caused by the new virus SARS-CoV2, enters your system through the respiratory tract. Smoking and vaping irritate your trachea and lungs, and therefore increase your risk for complications of this disease. So:
• The safest way to use cannabis right now are non-inhaled modalities (oil, spray, edibles)
• If you don’t have access to these products, vaping is safer than smoking
• If you decide to smoke, here are tips to decrease the amount of harmful substances you inhale
avoid mixing cannabis with tobacco
avoid deep inhalation or breath-holding
use joints rather than water bongs
use filters in your joints
Also, this sanitary crisis is a main source of anxiety for many of us. While using cannabis as a stress-coping strategy is common, cannabis use may worsen anxiety. Being mindful of your cannabis use can help prevent this.
• If you are really stressed out, cannabis with high THC content may worsen your anxiety, making you feel:
• If you are using cannabis to reduce anxiety, go for strains with low THC and/or high CBD.
• Do not use alone. Call a friend and practice distanced socialization.
Some other general tips:
• Your cannabis use may change throughout this lockdown. Be mindful of when, how and why you use cannabis.
• If you are using it to fight stress, alternate it with other coping strategies -meditation, yoga, exercise, hobbies, calling friends or family.
• If you are using it in a recreational way, identify the patterns of use that do not interfere with other important aspects in your life.
• Stay active! Exercising is key for mental health during this crisis. Go for a walk or run (respecting social distancing measures, do at home work-outs (there’s lots of videos in Youtube to chose from).
• Take care of your overall health! Eat healthy, and make sure you get enough sleep each day.
We’re here to help! If you have any questions on cannabis use during the COVID-19, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team. You can find us in our social media or write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are struggling with your mental health and/or substance use, here you will find some resources that may come in handy for you and your loved ones: https://cannabisandpsychosis.ca/fr/ressources-fr/